Last night – partly because I was watching saturday night fever on the telly, and it didn’t
start til late so it didn’t finish til later, and I had a couple of cups of tea to keep me going — but ended up going too long.
Maybe am a little anxious too. Starting Uni tomorrow morning, – psychology lecture. Don’t know esactly what to expect.
Last week I got about half of all the text books recommended, which hopefully should do; they’re damn expensive. At the moment it looks like I’ll have to go in there on four out of five weekdays, but hopefully can cut it down to 3.
I s’pose I’m kind of anxious because I think that maybe this time i’ve bit more than i can chew – compared to Tafe that is. Just have to wait and see. The fear of the unknown.
So, while I was away, or in journalling limbo that is, I was attempting to set up the Juggernaut’s graphics to use OpenGL drivers, so that I could play the game Tux Racer. (See tuxracer.com.) Was making good progress on finding the drivers, but it seemed to screw up somewhere and wouldn’t start X. Luckily I was able to unistall the offending packages and restore X.
However I still wasn’t satisfied, and – I think (it’s all fuzzy in head now) – installed Mandrake over where Woodnose95 was, thinkiing that that might have more luck with OpenGL. But Lilo stuffed up, and I wasn’t able to get into RedHat again, even with the boot floppy.
I don’t know, sometimes I feel like I sabotage myself. It’s like everything is running smmothly, and part of my head thinks *too* smoothly, and I mess with the configuration until the whole thing sinks. Terrible timing considering uni is just about to start.
Anyway, I was able to mount the RH partition from in Mandrake, and get at me files and move them around, but I lost things like all theset up; having the desktop just how I like it, and all the bookmarks I’d accumulated in Opera, and several hundred megs worth of updated pakages from Red Hat Network. And then on the transfer from Mandrake back to the reinstalled RH, I forgot to grab all me TTFs – 600 or more I think, schnaffled from all types of hard-to-get-back-to places.
At the moment at least I’m still mounting the little partitiion where Mdk is, so technically (i think) they should still be there, but I can’t find where. One little Lining to this particular Pickle is that I realised that they aren’t as important as I thought. Have got anti-aliasing turned on in Kde, and the comparative few typefaces it comes with see to suffice for web-browsing etc. The problems only crop up when using non-kde apps like Mozilla, or abiword.
One mistake I’m *really* gonna try to learn from this time is not to install Ximian on here. That always seems to be the beginning of things screwing up.
Another thing I was able to do was to chop down the partition that RH is on, so it’s using about 15gig, and there’s another 18 gigs spare, so that if something interesting comes along, like Free BSD, then I’ve got somewhere to stick it.
The melbourne grand prix is on today, which is, as zombiefied yak, something that I _will_ be able to do.