Jan 17

Well here we are. January 17, 8 years ago I left Australia to try working in South Korea.

How things end

Today I did my last little bit of teaching English here. For most of the hour I sat waiting and it seemed like it was going to be a no-show, but then the guy arrived. It didn’t matter much to me—I get paid either way. But it was a very quiet, unceremonious way to wind it down. Not that this means I am necessarily giving up on teaching English as a second language, or as a foreign language (although I might) but I am giving up on korea.

I feel like I’ve been here about three years too long. Without having learnt the language I’ve learnt as much as much about the culture as I care to and I have grown tired of it. That’s not really as bad as it sounds. I can remember having similar feelings of boredom with Geelong and Australia before I left to come here. One thing I can tell you I’ve learnt in this time about myself is that I am grateful to be a citizen of australia and be able to return when I want. Fourteen more days here.

— YS @ 9:21 am, January 17, 2013

4 Comments

1. I am wondering how many dart dings are in that refrigerator door, and 2 how you can teach English for years without picking up Korean. Plenty of language schools in Melbourne though. You will also get a real sunny break here as yesterday was 39 fn degrees.
    Good luck with the packing.

Comment by Ann ODyne — January 18, 2013 @ 7:27 am
  2. Yeah well I know some, but listening and speaking are different, and making sentences is hard.

Comment by YS — January 18, 2013 @ 8:15 am
  3. Welcome home YS. I check SB intermittently .. and only just noticed that you are back here in Aus… so i went digging for this post. Gee time flies!

Comment by Jay — May 1, 2013 @ 2:44 pm
  4. Thank Jay. Nice to see a familiar name in a sea of “wow, great post!” spam. You’re still in Sydney?

Comment by YS — May 1, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

If it’s too long and you didn’t read it then please leave and never come back.