Jan 17

Well here we are. January 17, 8 years ago I left Australia to try working in South Korea.

How things end

Today I did my last little bit of teaching English here. For most of the hour I sat waiting and it seemed like it was going to be a no-show, but then the guy arrived. It didn’t matter much to me—I get paid either way. But it was a very quiet, unceremonious way to wind it down. Not that this means I am necessarily giving up on teaching English as a second language, or as a foreign language (although I might) but I am giving up on korea.

I feel like I’ve been here about three years too long. Without having learnt the language I’ve learnt as much as much about the culture as I care to and I have grown tired of it. That’s not really as bad as it sounds. I can remember having similar feelings of boredom with Geelong and Australia before I left to come here. One thing I can tell you I’ve learnt in this time about myself is that I am grateful to be a citizen of australia and be able to return when I want. Fourteen more days here.

— YS @ 9:21 am, January 17, 2013

4 Comments

1. I am wondering how many dart dings are in that refrigerator door, and 2 how you can teach English for years without picking up Korean. Plenty of language schools in Melbourne though. You will also get a real sunny break here as yesterday was 39 fn degrees.
    Good luck with the packing.

Comment by Ann ODyne — January 18, 2013 @ 7:27 am
  2. Yeah well I know some, but listening and speaking are different, and making sentences is hard.

Comment by YS — January 18, 2013 @ 8:15 am
  3. Welcome home YS. I check SB intermittently .. and only just noticed that you are back here in Aus… so i went digging for this post. Gee time flies!

Comment by Jay — May 1, 2013 @ 2:44 pm
  4. Thank Jay. Nice to see a familiar name in a sea of “wow, great post!” spam. You’re still in Sydney?

Comment by YS — May 1, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Sunny Breaks: A Quinn Martin Production