spaces in Lion

Apple, you idiots. Why did you wreck up the spaces function in the new version of os x? People think three dimensionally. You should’ve been working towards designing for that. You had spaces working two dimensionally via a grid of four desktops and that was good, but you went backward to one dimension.

I’m all for new features but make sure that the status quo can be maintained by those who want to stay with it.

People, if you agree, please leave a comment. Maybe apple will see this and think about re-implementing the old 2×2 spaces.

, , , , — YS @ 1:12 pm, July 21, 2011

6 Comments

1. AMEN!

I had 8 spaces with default applications assigned to 5 of them. Now it’s a mess.

Comment by Tony — July 23, 2011 @ 9:50 pm
  2. Damn straight sparky. It’s like being a cat and your owner taking you to the vet for “just a check-up” and then being carried out minus your testicles.

Comment by YS — July 24, 2011 @ 7:24 pm
  3. Yeah… I was thinking the same thing. But everything else is freaking awesome. I love it.

Comment by Dustin Cole — July 24, 2011 @ 10:41 pm
  4. Totally agree!
    I had 3×3 spaces.
    Can’t imagine going through 9 spaces in line all the time.
    Spaces were one of the reasons I loved Leopard and SL. It was one of the features which made my productivity much higher, ’cause I use many applications at the same time.
    Why isn’t there an option to make it grid again? :-(
    I think I’ll have wait for them to fix this before upgrading to Lion.

Comment by ritorujon — July 26, 2011 @ 9:59 am
  5. Damn straight, rito. Although I wouldn’t hold my breath for them to fix this. After reading a bunch of articles and reviews I tend to agree with the theory that Lion is the beginning of a transition toward merging OS X and iOS. Really not a wise move on apple’s part.
    The most we can hope for is that a third party developer will create something like the old spaces, that we will then have to pay for.

Comment by YS — July 26, 2011 @ 11:59 am
  6. So glad to hear other people having the same problem. With a 2×2 grid, I could get from any one space to any other in a single motion. Now, even the animation to change spaces is slower. I also used to frequently use Expose+Spaces to quickly drag and drop windows from one space to another, or use the spacebar to preview windows in many spaces in a matter of seconds.

Comment by orange — August 2, 2011 @ 6:31 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

When situations never change,
Tomorrow looks unsure,
don’t leave your destiny to chance,
What are you waiting for?
The time has come to make your break:
Sunny Breaks.